Pages

Wednesday, November 4, 2009

I need to get a life.

I am the proud new owner, for the second time in my life, of the phrase "my therapist told me...." Actually, it's kind of the reverse; I sit in the chair and tell her everything for an hour every week. On the mornings of "therapy day," I wake up with a giant knot in the center of my stomach and an overwhelming urge to have a panic attack - the symptoms of a hardcore, long-term "do-it-yourselfer" that is coming to grips with the fact that I can no longer do-it-myself at this time. Someone who has awoken in the cold sweat nightmare of discovering that, despite my insightful and honest approach, I have become a victim of aimless existence rather than kicking ass and taking names. I have become accustomed to allowing things to happen instead of making them happen.

How did that happen?


I realized that I have no goals in life that are tangible; nothing to work toward and draw strength from; nothing to put x's on the calender to count down to. I fill my time with abstract concepts instead of concrete joys, as if my time were short enough that I can only dream instead of do, and have finally discovered what a giant mess I have made of my life by doing nothing. So I have a therapist and I tell her about me and she gets me to listen to myself; points out the answers that I already knew but couldn't face on my own.

I need to get a life. I need to figure out what I want that life to look like, and then I need to live it. I feel like a child, trying to decide what they'll be when they grow up; full of possibilities, but also a little overwhelmed by those same possibilities. It's no easy task to invent yourself when you're already a 30something with a husband and 3 kids. Just the thought of the situation is depressing, shocking, sickening - how could I have allowed this to happen when I work so hard to ensure that my own children have a good life? The short answer is that no one has ever done that for me and I suppose I didn't know how to do it for myself, or that I even could. I remember a great deal of "no you can't do that," but seldom was there support for my dreams. In fact, I'm still told by my mother to "go out and get a real job," when I talk about writing or photography, which are both true passions of mine. My husband has been the only source of support, which I am grateful to have, and to which I should have been listening to much more than I have been.

So this is it, as cliched as the phrase is; the first day of the rest of my life. It's a work in progress, which is still better than an exercise in futility - doing nothing and going nowhere. I am looking forward to being among the living, though!

2 comments:

  1. How does it ever happen? But you ARE taking charge, by getting help. And I personally find that when I need to see someone, and I see them, it always, always helps, and then I don't need them for a while!~

    "points out the answers that I already knew but couldn't face on my own."

    SO TRUE. and also, strange that we have to pay someone upwards of 100 bucks an hour to make us uncomfortable.

    Looking forward to seeing you blossom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "we have to pay someone upwards of 100 bucks an hour to make us uncomfortable."

    LOL.... what a pain in the ass, right? If we would just stop letting things slide and do what we need to do to begin with, things would be a lot cheaper and not so screwed up! Easier said than done, though, unfortunately. But as painful as it is to part with that cash, it is good to get a different perspective - even if we find ourself squirming at what we hear [from them, from ourselves]. Getting your shit together *is* a pretty good feeling. :)

    ReplyDelete