Pages

Monday, September 29, 2014

Send in the clowns.

I feel like the blink-blink-blink of the cursor on a blank page; waiting to span the syllables of something; some something that I hope turns out to have a decent, meaningful conclusion. I am going to carpe the shit of some diem, and tapdance my black letters all over this barren white; fill it up as I empty out.

That's what I feel.

The reality of the situation is that I also feel stuck in that short pause from blink to blink - there is no cursor, only the most cursory of allusions to a page, and the words are caught in my throat. "I wish I had an actual keyboard to type on; this tablet bullshit has worn thin," I think for the hundredth time. As true as that is, it also feels like an excuse to recuse myself from the task of facing my thoughts as they spill across the page. I don't want to look. Gawking at the corpse of your past is never easy; clumsy fingers reaching out to snatch you back to some point in time reminding you of what you had, or what you lost, or where you're still too angry and sick to peel back the bandages and assess the damage.

I have begun the ritual of writing: jamming some music into my ears to drown out the distracting silence, hot mug of tea near to hand, horrible cigarette smoldering in the ashtray. I am too old to be a hipster, but all of the cliches are there, earned honestly through my time so far on this planet. And I guess that's part of the big problem. I'm going to open my own little mental jewelry box where I've stored all of my most sacred thoughts, and instead of the ballerina popping up in endless pirouette to the musical chime, it's going to be some clown holding a busker's sign that says every negative thing we always tell ourselves; the music will be to the tune of sad trombone fanfare. Or, you know, that's what I tell myself.

The precursor to the big monsters in the closet is this. The modern dance of artistry looks a lot like bleeding feet en pointe; years of tiptoed survival summed up with a tidy satin bow. When the clown car is unpacked and the bruises and scrapes and scars are on full, naked, display, your inner ring leader takes a bow and you're left in charge of the popcorn mess in the aisles. The freak show you carry around in your brain still isn't sure you're capable of displaying their horrors properly, but you're all they've got; and so goes the dance; the show and telling of the soul.


No comments:

Post a Comment